JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- About six families were forced out of their homes in a Westside neighborhood after workers broke a gas pipe.
According to the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue department, the gas leak occurred happened on Ms. Muffet Lane when crews with Teco Gas Company were working to retrofit gas pipes in the neighborhood.
The crew hit a natural gas pipe causing the leak around 6:30 p.m. Saturday.
The JFRD evacuated half a dozen homes. It took crews more than three hours to get the pipe fixed.
Neighbors tell Action News the smell took over the block.
"It stank. You could really smell it when the wind went by. You could really smell it," said Jacqueline Simmons.
Crews on scene say natural gas is odorless so the odor neighbors smelled was actually a chemical put in order to detect leaks.
According to JFRD, because natural gas is lighter than air, the gas rose quickly and no one was in danger. Crews tested air quality with meters throughout the incident.