Riverside Presbyterian Apartment fire displaces dozens of senior citizens
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Dozens of senior citizens have no place to live after a fire broke out on the 16th floor of Riverside Presbyterian Apartments.
According to the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department, the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction. JFRD says when they found appliances had been plugged into a multiple outlet cord, including a space heater and television.
The fire was contained to one apartment, JFRD says the sprinkler system put out most of the flames even before they arrived.
The sprinkler system and smoke damaged 25 units and flooded hallways. The damage even reached as far down as the lobby.
The Red Cross is working with displaced residents to help them to locate family members to stay with. Others will be put up in hotel rooms.
Copyright 2013 Cox Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.