JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Many carried boxes and bags, others sentimental items, all trying to salvage what they could, before their home became engulfed in flames.
Arthur Lester calls the Preserve at Cedar River Apartments home. He tells me he woke up around 2 a.m. to a room full of smoke. "When I opened up the door to the hallway I saw the fire going up the walls," he says.
He says he tried to put it out on his own. "I grabbed the fire extinguisher immediately and tried to put it out. By that time it was too late. It had already spread to the top," says Lester.
According to Jacksonville Fire Rescue Department, 7 units were damaged which left 7 families homeless.
The Red Cross says everyone affected has renters insurance. All victims decided to stay with family and friends.
JFRD is working to confirm the cause of the fire. They believe it started with a heating unit.