DAVIE, Fla. -- Multiple sources, including Dolphin beat reporters from both the Miami Herald and the South Florida Sun -Sentinel say Dolphin coaches knew what was going on and may have even been the catalyst for it.
According to Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Dolphins coaches asked Incognito “to toughen up” Martin after he missed a voluntary workout during the 2013 offseason.
Kelly cites “at least two” unnamed sources.
Per the unnamed sources ( likely other players), Incognito may have taken his orders too far. Specifically, the sources tell Kelly that the racially-charged voice message from Incognito to Martin came after Martin skipped two days of the team’s voluntary OTA program.
The league is investigating the relationship Incognito had with Martin, who left the team last week because of emotional issues. Richie Incognito was suspended indefinitely by coach Joe Philbin for his treatment of Martin.
“Incognito was encouraged by his coaches to make a call that would ‘get [Martin] into the fold,’” Kelly reports.
Miami Herald reporter Armando Salguero said that, if that ends up being the case, a lot of people will be fired.
Incognito, speaking publicly for the first time since his suspension Sunday, was interviewed by WSVN-TV. "I'm just trying to weather the storm right now," Incognito said before getting into his car. "This will pass."
Dolphins officials didn't respond to requests for comment. The team is continuing a regular practice schedule as they prepare for Monday nights game at Tampa Bay.